International Seminar on
Enhancing Grassroots Innovation
Competitiveness for Poverty Alleviation
“Scouting, Research, Development and Commercialization of Grassroots Innovation”
October 16-18, 2012
Yogyakarta - IndonesiaCall for Paper
World Bank and IMF’s latest update on progress toward the 2015 targets reveals that two- thirds of developing countries are on track or close to meeting the Millennium Development Goals (MDGs). The rapid economic development – to some extent – has contributed to an accelerated decline in absolute poverty. The number of people living on less than US $1.25 a day is projected to be 883 million in 2015, compared with 1.4 billion in 2005 and 1.8 billion in 1990. The progress, however, is achieved with a cost of increased inequality, leaving the poor unable to benefit from development and becoming increasingly isolated, Not only geographically, but also socially and economically.
Considered as a global challenge, strategies have been established to improve their accessibility to many opportunities, one of which is Grassroots Innovation (GRI).GRI can be important tool in empowering the economic and reducing poverty by GRI’s commercialization to the market. GRI emphasizes on local talents whose creativity leads to developing solutions for the poor have been underutilized or neglected (World Bank, 2010).
In order to bring together plans and strategies to increase the role of GRI as an economic tool for betterness of the poor, Indonesian Institute of Sciences is going to conduct an International Seminar “Enhancing Grassroots Innovation Competitiveness for Poverty Alleviation” during Oct 16-18th, 2012. The seminar will focus on improvement of the competitiveness GRI, covering: scouting, research and development, and commercialization of GRI.
The aims of the event are
- To exchange experiences, share views on policies and strategic approaches, and promote international cooperational on fostering Grassroots Innovation for Poverty alleviation.
- Encourage countries especialli in Asia-Pacific to build a communcation network throught periodical gatherings to discuss and share information on Grassroots Innovation development in the region.
- To provide recomemendation on GRI management strategic policies especially for enhancing Grassroots Innovation competitiveness.
Scope of Discussion:
Provided that Grassroots Innovations is reffered as a bottom‐up approach of pro‐poor innovation, we provide a wide opportunity to discuss Grassroots Innovations in various spheres. However, in order to achieve the objectives we mostly welcome information exchange within the context of main themes : Enhancing of Grassroots Innovation Competitiveness for Poverty Alleviation, specifically, but not strictly confined to:
GRI Areas of Discussion
- Health and Medicine
- Small and Medium Enterprise
- Creative Industries
- Renewable Energy
Topics of Discussion (Parallel Session)
- GRI Policies and management, GRI Protection (GRI Intellectual Property Rights)
- Commercialization and development Small and Medium Enterprise
- Scouting, Research and Development
2nd Announcement here